Engineering Manager, Data
Slack is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Data Modeling and Architecture (DMA) organization. We are a critical part of the Data Engineering organization at Slack, partnering closely with engineers, product owners, and other internal partners to transform our vast product data into a useful and reliable data model. We are key to Slack’s ability to make tactical and strategic product and engineering decisions, as well as feeding internal teams’ (Finance, Sales, Marketing, etc) voracious appetite for product data. Our efforts are what drive Data Engineering to deliver on its fundamental mission: Provide the company with relevant, reliable, and actionable data. As such, DMA has a critical role in both Data Engineering’s and Slack’s success.
Our data engineers push the limits of our data infrastructure and tools, work with engineers and data analysts to define our data model, and establish methodologies for table schemas and data storage. You will manage a team of Data Engineers to help power Slack’s analytics and enable data informed decision-making throughout the company.
You have significant experience working with, and balancing the needs and priorities of, a complex set of partners. You get excited about building a strong data foundation for the company and having a profound impact on Slack’s relationship with data. You are independent, and care deeply about people -- their fulfillment, success, happiness -- and organizations -- their impact, health, and cohesion.
What you will be doing
- Own core datasets that power analytics and visualizations to support product team decision-making.
- Work closely with analysts, product teams, and cross functional partners to understand current and future data needs.
- Define and run SLAs for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Find potential opportunities for building new tools to scale and provide self-service solutions
- Build and cultivate a thriving team of Slack engineers and managers, focusing on impact, high trust, reliability, strong cohesion, and retention through the full employee lifecycle
What you should have
- You have at least two years in an engineering management / team lead role
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are organized.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce/Hadoop/Spark.
- You have excellent communication skills including the ability to actively identify data issues and drive them to resolution.
- You possess proven computer science fundamentals: Data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.