Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Slack is looking for a Sr. Staff Front-end Engineer to lead the design and implementation of transformative changes to our web and desktop applications. In this role you will partner with engineering teams across the company, providing guidance, and driving technology selection, execution, and operations. Your responsibilities will include coaching engineering leaders, advancing best practices, and identifying future front-end architectural requirements.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, get in touch.
What you will be doing
- You’ll lead technical strategy and efforts for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that have an impact on an entire engineering function and solve large open-ended problems.
- You’ll set the vision for strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs across the engineering organization.
- You’ll direct and guide the efforts of multiple pillars or functional groups through delegation to senior technical leaders.
- You'll proactively identify and remedy communication gaps and issues to reach alignments for complex issues across diverse audiences, and influence organizational goals and strategy.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You'll be a trusted coach and mentor, actively building new leaders at Slack through continuous feedback.
What you should have
- You have industry leading expertise with modern web technologies, such as TypeScript, React, Electron/Chromium/CEF, and progressive web apps.
- You can own technical architecture discussions and lead technical decisions for an engineering organization.
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 10+ years.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are an excellent communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to senior leadership and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.