Staff Software Engineer, Frontend Accessibility
Slack is looking for a Staff Frontend Engineer to join the Accessibility team. In this role you will use your deep experience and expertise building accessible web applications to improve the daily experience for millions of Slack users.
A taste of our scale and reach
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps
What you will be doing
- You will collaborate with other engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code to improve the accessibility and overall usability of Slack’s clients
- You will make systematic improvements to the Slack codebase by building infrastructure and tooling used by the entire frontend engineering team
- You will brainstorm features with product managers and designers and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase
- You will work across teams to ensure best practices are being employed across the product development organization
- You will assist our customer experience team in triaging bugs and solving customer issues
What you should have
- You have deep familiarity with the specific challenges and needs of people with disabilities using software to get work done
- You have 1+ years experience with React and Redux, Lodash, and/or CSS preprocessors like LESS or SASS
- You have expertise with screen reader technologies on Mac and Windows
- You have experience building and debugging complex systems in both individual and team environments
- You have experience with modern browser technologies
- You have strong UX and design sensibilities and attention to detail
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.