This is a senior technical operations position. It is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
Use your extensive knowledge of Linux and your desire to make everything 'just work' to keep a complex, high-volume web-app running optimally.
From tracking statistics and managing alerts to deploying new hosts and debugging intricate production issues, this role requires managing a large and varied infrastructure as it grows. The position also includes building out the appropriate tools to make your own job easier, planning for future platform growth and anything else that comes up.
- A deep and abiding love of Linux. Or a respectful hatred for it. Either way, you'll need to be able to sed/awk/grep like a pro.
- Strong background in deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus)
- Ability to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications
- Fluency with the LAMP stack
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things higher
- A familiarity with a wide variety of software development methodologies, tools, languages and approaches
- At least two years operations engineering experience, a large portion of which in a team environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience deploying to EC2
- Experience with Solr
- Solid competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment, MySQL a plus) and browser technologies
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Experience in small start-up environments
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.