Senior Application Engineer
Slack is looking for Senior Application Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
Application Engineers build the server-side of Slack using PHP / Hack, MySQL and Linux. In a typical week, an application engineer will develop new features with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, and frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers. They will collaborate with peers to write or review technical proposals, and contribute to internal tools that optimize our development process. They will assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving issues.
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 3+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.