This position is based in San Francisco.
If you were to join Slack, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Build new features in Electron to support our large-and-growing user base
- Jump into the Chromium bug databases to track down issues
- Collaborate with the open source community to improve Electron
- Build awesome web / native hybrid extensions to help make our users feel at home on any platform
- Troubleshoot OS or hardware-specific bugs, and write the code to resolve them
- Collaborate with our desktop team to decide how a Slack Desktop feature should work
- Work with our support team to track down and fix Electron-specific issues
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Electron Engineer at Slack:
- You are curious about how things work.
- You’ve made contributions to Electron and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better.
- You have strong communication skills. You're able to explain complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers in a clear, concise manner.
- You also know that the internet is a scary place and understand security concepts deeply and can put them into action to protect us and our users.
- You know the Chromium and Node.js platforms really well, and know what it’s like to try to work around quirks in the system.
- When things break — you are eager and able to help fix things.
- Others enjoy working with due to your technical competence and positive attitude.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.