Staff Engineer, Demand Engineering
About the Team
The Demand Engineering team enables fast and reliable delivery of Slack to our 12M+ globally distributed daily active users.
We design, implement and run Ingress load balancing and traffic management, including our own fleet of software load balancers and management of cloud load balancing infrastructure, plus DNS and CDN. Our Internal load balancing is managed via service discovery and service mesh.
Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business. Demand Engineering’s roadmap is aimed at improving ease-of-use of our infrastructure by providing our developers' features such as blue-green deployments out of the box.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering ensuring resilient systems built to scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic.
Reliability is Slack’s most critical feature! Accordingly, Demand Engineering is responsible for systems vital to Slack’s availability. We work to make our systems scalable, efficient, and operating according to our high standards in production. We also partner with other engineering teams to find solutions to improve end-to-end customer experience in Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a full-time staff engineering position based in the U.S.
What you will be doing
- Designing and implementing scalable and reliable traffic delivery infrastructure
- Designing, building, maintaining and operating production systems that balance traffic across our edge regions and various backend services
- Operating systems that protect our network from DDoS attacks
- Designing tools that, as developed will process performance data we collect from millions of our global users enabling the compilation of a precise metric based map of the Internet as it relates to Slack
- Crafting and building tools that will utilize this map to improve our DNS routing decisions in order to optimize Slack user experience and achieve even higher levels of availability and lower latency
- Automating operational traffic workflows, building automation and eliminating toil
- Support FedRAMP and DoD SRG activities
What you should have
- You should have lawful permanent residency within the U.S.
- You are intensely curious about how things work
- Experience in the analysis and performance optimization of high-traffic Internet applications and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Strong interpersonal skills, e.g. ability to convey complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is something you are used to
- Mentoring and the ability to model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Experience with TCP/IP, DNS, and network-related protocols
- Experience with Linux / Unix operating on high volume systems at scale
- Experience coding in compiled or interpreted languages such as Go, Ruby, C/C++ and Python
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, distributed systems and software development
- Experience with configuring and operating traffic management components such as load balancers, web, DNS and proxy servers in production
- A BS, MS, or Ph.D. in engineering or related technical field (or equivalent work experience)
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.