Staff Product Designer, Visual & Motion
We're hiring a designer to help shape the future of Slack. Designers here work across every stage of product development, from creating the experience of new features, to prototyping and finding creative solutions, to the craft and finish of every detail in the product.
We are looking for a designer who has a balance of great visual design coupled with an eye for motion design who can tell a story. These two crafts paired together can create lifelike movement, and improves the user experience by making it more purposeful and enjoyable. Motion brings the soul to world-class visual design. As the lead visual and motion designer at Slack, you will define Slack’s app visual and interaction language and will work closely with our design systems team to codify it under SlackKit.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. If this sounds like a good fit for you, please send us a nice hello, plus links to your work and experience.
What you'll be doing
- Formulating our visual and motion design strategy - balancing short & long term initiatives
- Audit motion executions in product and strategize a path forward towards excellence based on findings and current problems
- Partnering with product designers, product management, and engineering to generate ideas and turn them into a seamless product experiences
- Maintaining an end to end perspective of all motion executions in product from micro-interactions to full scale animations
- Developing compelling visions, concepts, visual designs, and prototypes
- Executing layouts, typography, iconography, color theory, and compositions to design our product with artistry, creativity, and mastery
- Partnering with engineering to ensure a high-quality implementation and user experience.
- Actively contributing to Slack’s design system
- Coaching other designers in their presentation, interpersonal and team communication skills
What you should have
- 4+ years professional experience as a visual or motion designer
- Expertise in both desktop and mobile applications
- Knowledge of product and marketing motion patterns and latest trends
- Demo, reel or portfolio of previous motion design work being applied to product or web design is required
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation in typography, illustration, visual and interaction design.
- Deep understanding of how to create usable, accessible, and modular designs that can scale to millions of users.
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid-growth environment.
- Experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (bonus points if you love to use emoji 😎).
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.