Sr. Data Engineer
Slack is looking for data engineers to join our Data Engineering team. In this role, you will partner cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement our Data Warehouse model. You will design, implement and scale data pipelines that transform billions of records into actionable data that enable insights.
You will work on initiatives and provide hands-on technical support to create impact across Slack by building and scaling our core data model and key company metrics.
You have strong technical skills, you are comfortable contributing to a nascent data ecosystem, and you can build a strong data foundation for the company. You are a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack.
What you will be doing
- You will translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the company
- You will design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- You will partner with business domain experts, data analysts and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service
- You will be a champion of the overall strategy for data across multiple teams and different use cases
- You will increase access to foundational company metrics through process and technical foundations
- You will identify, document and promote data engineering best practices throughout Slack
What you should have
- You have 4+ years of experience working in data architecture, data modeling, master data management, metadata management
- You have recent accomplishments working with relational as well as NoSQL data stores, methods and approaches (logging, columnar, star and snowflake, dimensional modeling)
- You have a proven track record in scaling and optimizing schemas, performance tuning SQL and ETL pipelines in OLAP and Data Warehouse environments
- You have demonstrated skills with either Python or Java programming language
- You are familiar with data governance frameworks, SDLC, and Agile methodology
- You have excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
- You have hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark), which is a huge plus
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.