Sr. Software Engineer, Data
Slack is looking for a data engineer to join our Data Tools team. The team provides Data Scientists and other advanced data users the tools they need to accelerate insights generation and enable informed product decisions. You should have deep technical skills, be comfortable contributing to a growing BI platform, be product-focused, and be excited about creating a strong data-driven culture within the company. You are also independent, and excited about having a big impact at Slack. You are able to have a North Star vision in defining the direction the team is heading towards.
Our Software Engineers push the limits of our data warehouse, business intelligence tools and experimentation platform. You will lead and scale the team to help empower the entire Slack product org to become more data-driven. This team works with Product engineers, ADU (Advance Data Users) and Data analysts to optimize logging, generate dashboards to track exposure metrics, etc. You will help power analytics for advanced data users across Product and Engineering, Sales, and more.
What you will be doing
- Designing and implementing the re-engineering and re-architecting efforts on our data visualization platform to build a highly resilient and reliable platform to work well within SLA limits
- Partnering with Advance Data Users (ADU), Analysts and Product teams to understand current and future data needs around logging, experiments and tracking/rollout of the same
- Finding potential opportunities for building new tools to scale and provide self-service solutions
- Focusing on release automation, making use of technologies like Docker, Kubernetes for the CI/CD pipeline
- Identify, document and promote data engineering best practices throughout Slack
What you should have
- 4+ years of experience working in data architecture, analytics, and BI tooling
- Possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- Experience building or utilizing large-scale data pipelines professionally with Big data technologies like Airflow, Kafka, MapReduce, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark and Visualization tools
- Demonstrated skills with Python, Java or Scala
- Technical knowledge and proficiency with SQL to perform data acquisition, segmentation, and aggregation from varied data sources
- Familiarity with SDLC and Agile methodology
- Knowledge of AWS technologies like S3, EMR, Lambda or similar is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.