Sr. Data Engineer
Sr. Data Engineer, Platform
As a Senior Data Engineer Platform, you will be working cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement our Data Warehouse model. You will be working in our Business Technology Data and Analytics function with an eye to developing a sound data foundation and processes that will scale with the company’s growth.You will be the subject matter expert of managing all platform technology stack of Data and Analytics team. You will design, implement data pipelines enabling insights from our Product and Corporate Systems for key partners and decision makers at Slack. You would also be responsible for enhancing and maintaining our data warehouse.
This is a fun role for problem solvers, who can intuitively anticipate problems and can also look beyond immediate issues. It is for people who take initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure. In short, we look for people who take pride in the craft and want to be part of creating and defining the teams operating model and contribution to the company. They will be a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack. If this role has your name written all over it, please contact us with a resume so that we explore further.
- Provides best practices, direction for data engineering and design across multiple projects and functional areas.
- Production Support and Maintain analytics technology ecosystem (data warehouse, ETL and BI tools)
- Advises on performance optimizations and best practices for scalable data models, pipelines and queries.
- Leverages the right tools for the right job to deliver testable, maintainable, and modern data solutions
- Partner with Data Engineers, Data architects, domain experts, data analysts and other teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements
- Design, build and implement automation framework for scale that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- Own and document data pipelines and data lineage
- Identify, document and promote best practices
- Reduces technical debt over time with root cause identification and resolution of system problems
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline.
- 8+ years work experience showing growth as a Senior Data Engineer.
- Very strong experience in SQL, dimensional modeling, supporting data warehouse, scaling and optimizing, performance tuning and ETL pipelines
- Administration knowledge of databases, ETL tools, basic Unix administration.
- Deep understanding of relational as well as big data setup. Preferred: Prior experience with Snowflake, ETL tools (eg Informatica, Matillion, Snaplogic), Hive, Presto, Dimensional Modeling.
- Proficiency with programming languages (e.g. Python)
- Problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills with ability to make sound complex decisions in a fast-paced, technical environment.
- Ability to work on multiple areas like Data pipeline ETL, Data modeling & design, writing complex SQL queries etc.
- Proficiency in Airflow is a big plus.
- Capable of planning and executing on both short-term and long-term goals individually and with the team.
- Passionate about various technologies including but not limited to SQL/No SQL/MPP databases etc.
- Hands-on experience with Data Warehouse technologies (Snowflake, Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
- Excellent understanding of trade-offs
- Demonstrated ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.