Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our international legal team. You will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You will work closely with our Sales, Marketing, Business Operations, and Go-To-Market teams in Slack’s international business, leading legal negotiations and giving advice on lots of different topics at all levels of the organisation. This could be a special opportunity for the right person. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, data processing agreements, software licenses and partnership agreements. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You will provide input on processes and policies, including contract processes, to optimise our interactions internally, helping drive our growth and collect new learnings. Then, iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Sales, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account the company’s policies and positions.
- You will be comfortable with advising on data protection and e-privacy matters, providing guidance to internal teams and discussing and negotiating data processing agreements with customers and vendors.
- Staying up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, privacy, open source, IP and other laws, regulations and developments, to be able to give the most effective advice.
What you should have
- 4+ years’ experience working on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, strategic alliance, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.), including with large enterprise companies, companies in regulated industries (e.g, financial services, healthcare, etc.), and public sector/government.
- Comfortable negotiating data processing agreements, including a solid working knowledge of GDPR and other privacy laws as they relate to commercial contracts.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It is a cliché, but attention to detail really is a requirement.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can own the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favourable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly and rapidly changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and well communicated.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security, and commercial laws or a strong willingness to learn.
- Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms.
- Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbooks of fallback terms.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
- Qualified lawyer in good standing and admitted to practice law in the relevant jurisdiction.
- You speak a second or third language fluently aside from English.
- You use Slack and love emojis
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.