Open Source Engineer
The Developer Relations team is looking for engineers to support and grow our developer ecosystem by improving our documentation content system, crafting open-source tools, SDKs, and samples that make it simple and fabulous to use Slack's platform. In this role, you'll work closely with the Platform Engineering, Product, and Marketing teams to scope, build, and release products that improve developer experience on our platform.
As part of the Developer Relations team, you'll also spend meaningful time interacting with our developers online and in person; we value open dialogue and work in the open on GitHub. Join us to help build a community and products together.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Collaborate with content writers, engineers, and product to refine our documentation content systems and information architecture
- Build interactive tools and documentation systems developers will love
- Edit, revise, and prioritize an evolving collection of guides, tutorials, and reference documentation
- Automate inconveniently manual processes
- Help maintain open source developer SDKs that highlight standard methodologies and useful techniques, including thoughtful documentation and examples.
- Work with Platform Product and Engineering teams on behalf of developers to improve the Platform directly.
What you should have
- 2+ years of engineering experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for helping other people generally, and developers specifically, as well as for Slack itself.
- Experience in developer relations, or other customer-facing roles
- Experience managing documentation systems and static site generator frameworks like Hugo, Gatsby, or Jekyll
- Familiarity programming with API specification formats like OpenAPI and JSON Schema
- Track record of open source contributions and community involvement a plus
- Experience working on multi-functional teams (product management, customer success, legal, finance, marketing, etc..)
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.