Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant contract professional to join our legal team as a contract negotiator. This position will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, creating efficiencies in our contracting processes, supporting our subject-matter experts, and partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You’ll work closely with our Accounts, Business Operations, Security, Privacy, and Go-To-Market teams, leading customer-facing legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate. We’re growing quickly! And we’re nice.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and growth-driven partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, data processing agreements, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You’ll provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings. Optimize, educate, execute, then iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Business Operations, and various other cross-functional teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account companies policies and positions.
- Drive complex legal and cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on Slack’s business, including operational improvements and interdepartmental education
- 3+ years experience in drafting and negotiating legal terms with a heavy emphasis on customer-facing or partner-facing commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.). Prior experience in SaaS and subscription licensing contracts is preferred.
- An understanding of data privacy and the impact of current data privacy laws on commercial contracting.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-contract professionals. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- A confident, effective, and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Solid understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security and commercial laws or willingness to learn. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals. Experience in specific areas such as FinServ, Government, EDU/Non-Profit, or Healthcare is a plus.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.