Sr. Software Engineer-Data Streaming, Core Infra
Sr. Software Engineer : Data Streaming, Core Infrastructure
Slack is expanding our Core Infrastructure team - looking for experts to drive the way we architect, deliver, and operate the services that run at the heart of our Infrastructure.
Teams of all sizes — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done. We work at a tremendous scale, aiming for “five nines” of uptime for all services.
- 1M Slack messages sent per minute via the API
- 300M events per minute broadcast to Slack clients
- 90B database queries per day
- 6B background jobs enqueued per day
- 2T metrics collected per day
Our systems deliver trust and scale for people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together, as well as internal capabilities like the company's monitoring fabric and detection/response security systems. Our Core Infrastructure team maintains and builds the lower levels of our stack, including:
- Edge services
- Data Stores and Caches
- Real-time messaging and event fanout
- Asynchronous background job processing
We’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us, much like a vital utility. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are exceptionally performant, highly available, reliable, and scalable. In other words, we make Slack work seamlessly. Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL/Vitess.
The Data Streaming Team
We are forming a new Data streaming team that will focus on providing Kafka as a Service for the company at the scale of trillions of messages per day across dozens of clusters in Amazon data centers. The team will work both on extensions to the Kafka ecosystem to bridge clusters together and store streams as well as on highly reliable automation for tuning, operating, and scaling Kafka clusters.
We are seeking all levels of Software Engineers to help take us to the next level of scale, performance, and maturity. Opportunities include:
- Measuring and improving the performance and availability of Kafka
- Coaching other engineers on best practices for designing and operating reliable systems at scale
- Contributing to prominent open-source projects
- Building deep expertise with public cloud platforms, Kubernetes and Kafka (or perhaps you already have this?)
- Architecting and building infrastructure for data streaming at Slack
- 4+ years of experience in Distributed Systems
- Experience with Java, Go, Python or similar languages
- Experience with one or more public cloud platforms e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP
- Experience with Kafka, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Experience owning and operating mission-critical services
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
- Experience using telemetry and metrics to drive operational excellence
- MS or BS in Computer Engineer/Science or related field, or
- Relevant work experience with demonstrated success in the above areas at scale
Come join us!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.