Product Data Engineer
Slack is seeking an experienced Product Data Engineer to join the data engineering team. This person would contribute to the vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools, work with engineers and data analysts to optimize logging, and establish best practices for table schemas and data storage. The right candidates will have deep technical skills, be comfortable working in and contributing to a nascent data infrastructure, and excited about building a strong data foundation for the company. They will be scrappy, independent, and excited about having a big impact at Slack.
We're looking for Data Engineers to fill roles within all four pillars of Slack’s product teams: Core Product, Enterprise, Platform and Growth.
- Implement and help enforce a cohesive strategy for both logging and ETL pipelines.
- Own core datasets that power analytics and visualizations to support product team decision making.
- Work closely with analysts and product teams to understand current and future data needs.
- Serve as the data expert and own data quality for areas of product ownership.
- Define and manage SLA for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Find potential opportunities for building new tools to scale and provide self-service solutions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 3+ years experience in the data warehouse space.
- 3+ years experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance.
- 3+ years experience working with either a Map Reduce or an MPP system.
- 3+ years experience with object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python or Java preferred)
- 3+ years experience in writing SQL statements.
- Ability to analyze data infrastructure to identify opportunities for efficiency and improvements.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to proactively identify data issues and drive to resolution.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.