(Senior) Engineering Manager - Search Products
Slack is looking for an engineering manager to join our Search, Learning & Intelligence (SLI) team headquartered in NYC. Our team's mission is to make the product smarter and companies dramatically more productive the more they use Slack.
You will lead a team responsible for building a fast, personalized search experience across all of the knowledge within Slack: messages, people, channels, files, links, and more. Over time, Slack should grow to feel like the augmented memory for the entire company. We are looking for people who have led and managed teams tackling ambitious, technical challenges. No prior domain experience in search is required, though you should be voracious to learn about the area.
You’ll be one of the founding members of the team and the NYC office, which started up this past year and almost 20 people. The position will report directly to the Head of SLI. You’ll lead a team of 6-8 very senior engineers to start, and a big part of your role will be helping double the size of the group this coming year by bringing in more incredible folks.
If you were to join Slack, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Amplify your team’s output and help adjust its direction so it can quickly ship new end-to-end features, working closely with product and design.
- Dig into data—from usage behavior to experimental results—to inform technical and product direction.
- Help build a great team, from sourcing to interviewing to onboarding to learning and development.
- Work with the team to identify quality problems, explore potential data sources and algorithms, evaluate the output, and come up with new approaches.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- You have engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams tackling hard problems.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are pragmatic, organized, and biased toward shipping.
- You are a strong communicator who can succinctly explain complex technical concepts.
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- You know how the web works and what a good API looks like.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Here are a few extra things that would lift you up a couple of notches in our eyes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have professional experience working data-driven products in an experiment-oriented environment.
- You have academic and/or work experience in some of the following areas: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, or natural language processing.
- Experience with SOLR / Elastic Search.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce / Hadoop / Spark.
- A good understanding of statistics (experimental design, regression, etc.).
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.