Quality Engineer - Platform
Slack is looking for experienced and skilled Quality Assurance Testers to join our team. This is an excellent position for people who enjoy working on the full cycle of manual testing — creating a strategy, writing a plan, creating and executing tests, finding regressions, logging and verifying bugs, and creating comprehensive historical records of testing activities are all part of being successful in this position.
Product development at Slack is split into small teams of engineers, designers, and product managers working together on features. As a QA Tester at Slack, you would become a full-time member of one of these small teams, focusing on just one or two projects at a time to ensure that we have a solid and well-executed test strategy before launching new features to the public.
One of Slack's defining and most powerful features is its platform for integrating with hundreds of other services — Slack allows teams to not only communicate with one another via messages, but also to interact with everything else in their productivity toolchain in one place.
Our Manual QA engineers help developers succeed in using our APIs to build useful, meaningful tools on our platform, whether they are building highly-customized integrations with their team's internal tools or building third party services to make Slack even more useful than it is.
- You understand web services, including transport (primarily HTTP), common data formats (JSON), and standard API patterns (e.g. REST).
- You can write code in at least one language to gather data from web services and use it for your own purposes.
- Knowledge and understanding of APIs, testing APIs and authentication protocols such as OAuth.
- Experience with testing of native clients on desktop & mobile platforms (Android or iOS) utilizing both physical devices and running on simulators/emulators.
- Experience using mobile development tools Xcode, Android Studio, Charles Proxy, etc.
- Comfortable working with Unix and Git.
- Experience with developing against APIs.
- You are skilled at explaining technical problems and issues succinctly and clearly.
- Ability to think creatively and approach testing our APIs from multiple users’ perspectives.
- Improvisation and flexibility. We operate differently than other teams. Standard QA processes won’t always work at Slack. Bring your bag of tricks.
- This is a communication heavy role. You must be fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Work with a variety of teams (engineering, design, product management, project management, and customer experience) to design, own, and deliver on test plans for new features and functionality.
- Develop and maintain a robust library of test cases for both new and existing features.
- Design and execute regression test plans on an ongoing basis — Slack changes frequently and rapidly.
- Be a reliable, friendly, and non-judgemental source of early feedback on new functionality and feature changes.
- Work with other members of the Customer Experience team to make sure that testing is complete and thorough before launching.
- Provide immediate feedback to software developers and work with them to improve the product.
- Communicate with the Customer Experience team to plan and execute testing in a timely fashion.
- Work with Engineering to isolate and reproduce defects across all parts of the system.
- Own the issues in your area of the code, triage and manage them in our issues tracking tool.
- Work with the Software Engineering in Test team to identify and address gaps in testing coverage.
- Become the voice of Quality for the product you work on.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.