Product Manager, Infrastructure
Slack is seeking an experienced product manager to align our infrastructure engineering roadmap and our product and business priorities. This person will work hand-in-hand with the Head of Infrastructure Engineering and will liaise with customer-facing product group leaders to help them understand the present and future capabilities of our technical infrastructure and architecture. They will also anticipate needs they will have from our infrastructure to deliver upon their product roadmaps in the future.
The ideal candidate for this role will bring technical experience of their own at significant scale. They will have experience establishing product and business requirements for highly-complex, technically-complicated projects — just like the ones we face here at Slack. To give you a taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. This person should have excellent cross-functional collaboration skills, and should be able to make forward progress while working within different priorities and objectives. With Infrastructure building many of the foundational systems at Slack, your work influences — and is influenced by — the many projects Slack undertakes and strong technical and project organizational skills will be how you operate and lead.
About our Infrastructure
Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL. Our Chief Architect, Keith Adams, spoke about our architecture at QCon in 2016. For a sample of the kind of projects this team works on, check out these blog posts: Getting to Slack faster with incremental boot, Reducing Slack’s memory footprint and Flannel: An Application-Level Edge Cache to Make Slack Scale.
- Help to develop the roadmap for Slack’s engineering infrastructure team alongside the Head of Infrastructure and engineering leads
- Act as a liaison between the infrastructure and customer-facing product teams to build a high-fidelity line of two-way communication to inform product design and ensure consistent adoption of our infrastructural investments
- Assess the technical, product, and business impacts of the company product roadmap to inform and help prioritize technical work
- Work alongside Head of Infrastructure and program management to drive high-quality execution of large cross-departmental projects
- 5+ years of overall industry experience with at least 3+ as a product manager
- Deep technical experience building highly-available and scalable systems
- Experience partnering with engineering and design teams to define, build, and maintain products which are fast, reliable and resilient
- Passion about Slack and the problem we are solving
- Great track record of working with engineering and product teams: people want to work with you again
- Strongly prefer a candidate with engineering experience on highly-complex problems
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.