Program Manager, Infrastructure
Slack is seeking an experienced Program Manager to drive technical programs for Slack’s Infrastructure Engineering Team.
In this role, you will partner with product, quality, operations, and development teams to improve the team’s processes and capabilities. You understand the benefits of moving quickly and can champion program management processes and methods across the organization.
You will drive Infrastructure Engineering programs from scoping through to delivery and will ensure the work is well understood, is resourced appropriately, and is executed successfully across multiple departments.
You will use your strategic thinking skills to drive successful long term plans while working on multiple, highly-detailed projects. As Slack grows, it is critical that you develop methods that help the team get their work done effectively. You will lead process improvement through the disciplined analysis of metrics and evaluation of alternatives.
You thrive when given the opportunity to design systems and bring technical program management experience of your own at significant scale. You have experience driving product and business requirements for highly-complex, technically-complicated projects — just like the ones we face here at Slack. To give you a taste of our impact:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering and product to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale.
- Work across teams to drive and enable growth by leading the execution of programs and projects
- Provide hands-on program management during analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and post implementation phases
- Plan and execute high value cross-team and group-wide meetings
- Build and maintain timelines, role & responsibility matrices, project plans and trackers, and communication artifacts to ensure everyone is operating from the most recent and accurate information
- Perform risk management and change management on projects
- Drive process improvements across multiple teams and functions
- At least 4 years leading operations planning, resource management, project lifecycles, and workflows in a dynamic product or engineering organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with sufficient level of technical capability to effectively communicate with engineers and identify technical risks
- Ability to work independently and communicate across multiple time zones
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and experience managing activities across multiple teams
- Demonstrated track record of delivering complex projects and programs with cross-functional teams
Infrastructure at Slack:
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering and product to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. Our team maintains and builds the lower levels of our web stack, including:
- Edge services
- Real-time messaging
- Asynchronous background job processing
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users notice. Our mission is to ensure that Slack runs on highly available, performant, and scalable systems
Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.