Engineering Manager - Cloud Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering leader for our Cloud Engineering team. The team is responsible for creating the software that defines and manages Slack’s network of thousands of computers in data centers all over the globe. The scale and complexity of Slack’s network is a unique opportunity. Combined with the explosive rate of growth we expect this to be one of the world’s best cloud engineering teams, tackling tough problems on global scale. The team is primarily based in Melbourne, Australia.
About the Role
Your responsibilities include:
- Establish an office identity and key areas of ownership and operational responsibility.
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to solve our toughest design and support problems.
- Partner with our Customer Experience team to support customers in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Foster a work culture that encourages individual decision making and innovation.
- Support frequent and effective feedback between team members.
- Develop communication programs that connect the team to the rest of the organization and support daily prioritization and decision making for the team.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
You might be a good fit if:
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your directs’ success.
- Your leadership style makes space for multiple senior engineers and supports the growth of everyone on your team to keep pace with rapid change.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in Cloud automation and tooling to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice.
- You have several years experience serving in an engineering management role.
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Previous experience with multi-cloud infrastructures.
- Previous experience with regulatory compliance in a cloud environment.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.