Senior Production Engineer - Production Engineering
About the Team
The Production Engineering team is composed of systems and software engineers, working to make Slack more performant, available & reliable each day. We’re driving latency down and ensuring that Slack is available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on scaling problems for a global customer base, and write software to work on multiple cloud providers. We redesign fundamental network components and instrument applications across the company. We get excited about making Slack fast as heck.
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering position based in San Francisco, California.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product.
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability.
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation.
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others.
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications.
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale.
- Experience using PHP without a framework.
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus).
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef.
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus).
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.