Senior Software Engineer - Storage
About the Team
Slack's Storage Engineering team builds and operates the platform services that store data at Slack. We manage technologies that are highly durable (databases and search) and technologies optimized for performance (cache and streaming data).
For example, Storage Engineering is in the midst of transitioning Slack’s core MySQL infrastructure to use Vitess’ flexible sharding and management capabilities. Review our recent presentation slides: Migrating to Vitess at (Slack) Scale. We also recently completed a project to scale out Slack's job queue using Kafka and Redis.
About the Role
Your responsibilities may include:
- Designing and developing new highly-available infrastructure to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product.
- Advising feature teams on how we can support the storage needs of new features under development.
- Writing code to capture data about service performance, and create tools and dashboards to provide insight into that data.
- Participating in the Storage Engineering on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
- Contributing to internal tools that help us improve our operations processes, manage our infrastructure, and scale our systems.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You've been developing and operating high-traffic Internet applications and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- You've deployed server software on Linux, and then operated it at scale. You’ve debugged its problems, and analyzed and optimized its performance.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You enjoy helping onboard new team members, mentoring, and teaching others.
- Professional experience operating at least one distributed data storage system, at scale and in a team environment. Some examples include: a relational database like MySQL, a search engine like Solr, or a streaming message bus like Kafka.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Solid competency in software engineering, using functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience using distributed storage systems scaled out across hundreds or thousands of servers.
- Experience expressing complex questions in SQL, especially MySQL.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management (Chef a plus).
- Experience with virtualized environments, especially Amazon Web Services.
- Experience in a startup environment.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.