Senior Software Engineer - Storage
About the Team
Slack's Storage Engineering team builds and operates the platform services that store data at Slack. We manage technologies that are highly durable (databases and search) and technologies optimized for performance (cache and streaming data).
For example, Storage Engineering is in the midst of transitioning Slack’s core MySQL infrastructure to use Vitess’ flexible sharding and management capabilities. Review our recent presentation slides: Migrating to Vitess at (Slack) Scale.
About the Role
Your responsibilities may include:
- Designing and developing new highly-available infrastructure to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product.
- Advising feature teams on how we can support the storage needs of new features under development.
- Writing code to capture data about service performance, and create tools and dashboards to provide insight into that data.
- Participating in the Storage Engineering on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
- Contributing to internal tools that help us improve our operations processes, manage our infrastructure, and scale our systems.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You've been developing and operating high-traffic Internet applications and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- You've deployed server software on Linux, and then operated it at scale. You’ve debugged its problems, and analyzed and optimized its performance.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You enjoy helping onboard new team members, mentoring, and teaching others.
- You know how the web works. You know HTTP and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Professional experience operating at least one distributed data storage system, at scale and in a team environment. Some examples include: a relational database like MySQL, a search engine like Solr, or a streaming message bus like Kafka.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Solid competency in software engineering, using functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience using distributed storage systems scaled out across hundreds or thousands of servers.
- Experience expressing complex questions in SQL, especially MySQL.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management (Chef a plus).
- Experience with virtualized environments, especially Amazon Web Services.
- Experience in a startup environment.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.