Director of Data Engineering
Slack is looking for an experienced director of engineering to lead our Data Engineering organization. Our team works to provide an ecosystem to help users quickly and easily answer questions about usage so that they can make better informed decisions. In this role you will lead the team responsible for the infrastructure at the heart of our efforts to make Slack more intelligent and scalable. This work directly impacts our mission to make teams more productive and simplify how work gets done. This Director will report to our Head of Infrastructure Engineering. We invite you to read our data team’s blog post to learn more.
- Lead and coach a team of amazing engineers and managers tasked with delivering a scalable, performant data engineering ecosystem to internal and external clients
- Craft a meaningful vision for the team and ensure achievement of immediate term goals through teamwork and high standards
- Represent the Data Engineering team to various clients with myriad data and analytics needs
- Build the technological foundation upon which Slack’s next generation of data products will be built
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have extensive experience leading large teams, coaching managers and developing people.
- You develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it.
- You have experience leading teams and building products that work at web scale.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your teammates' best work to clients with varying levels of technical fluency.
- You have significant past experience contributing hands-on to products built within the Spark/Hadoop ecosystem.
- You possess a Bachelor's degree in computer science (or equivalent experience). The ideal person will possess an advanced degree with a focus on distributed systems or machine learning.
We look forward to working with you!
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.