Director of Security Engineering
Our Security teams support the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We recognize and value the contribution security makes to building trust and earning the business of our customers. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As Director of Security Engineering, you have three key areas of focus: Maintain customer trust through the use of innovative security solutions; Ensure the leaders and engineers on your teams are thriving, by Investing in their development and growth; See that the important work your team is responsible for gets prioritized, resourced and accomplished.
- Craft a meaningful vision for the team and ensure achievement of immediate term goals through teamwork and high standards
- Work closely with multi-functional teams to conceive security strategies and features that will help keep Slack’s data safe
- Use data to make decisions about prioritization and impact
- Build processes and frameworks for Security Engineering and Security Ops
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Mentor and coach the managers and engineers on the team, helping them to develop as leaders
- Build roadmaps and long-term team vision in partnership with the Product team
- Be accountable for driving project execution
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have extensive experience growing teams, coaching managers and developing people.
- You develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You have experience leading teams and building security solutions for products that work at web scale.
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your teammates' best work to clients with varying levels of technical fluency.
- You appropriately weigh several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- You have at least 5 years of engineering management experience, at least 2 of which should include managing managers
- You have enough technical expertise to be able to talk to participate and contribute to engineering and architecture decisions
- You have built, scaled and refactored teams as needs shift and driven them toward a consistent vision with reliable execution
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.