Director IT, Business Intelligence
As the Director, Business Intelligence at Slack, you will lead a team of BI Engineers and Analysts and oversee KPI reporting, performance forecasting and analysis and predictive modeling, including the build out of technologies that support Business Intelligence at Slack. The role will drive insights to the corporate functions of Marketing, Sales, Finance and HR, helping to drive enhanced performance of our business. The ideal candidate thrives at delivering solutions to complex data problems, has an affinity for data and analytics technologies in support of driving business decisions, is a strong team leader and is comfortable working with executives and stakeholders of all levels.
In this role you will report directly to the VP of Information Technology. You are a high-energy, self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. You enjoy and excel at team building and development, as well as collaborating with cross-functional teams. Technical expertise and a passion for innovation are crucial, but you'll balance that with sound decision-making and a solid background in data & analytics.
- Hands-on leader engaging in complex data challenges and information management projects
- Develop and execute a holistic technology vision for Slack’s long-term analytics & data strategy while identifying quick wins that can provide immediate value.
- Develop and maintain relationships with business leaders across the company to prioritize development activities, set strategy and educate the organization on new technologies. Set data standards and ensure alignment. Facilitate an enterprise Data Council and other cross-functional user groups. Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis regarding progress on projects, performance and potential business risks
- Build a high-performing team through mentorship, training, and feedback.
- Design roadmaps for BI systems that support our global businesses into the future.
- Collaborate with business teams to identify, prioritize, and develop key features in our physical and logical data models (e.g. marketing, web, sales, and customer success analytics).
- Monitor trends and maintain a philosophy of continuous improvement to identify new technologies and processes, improve the data structure and integrations for long term scalability and efficiency.
- Own the technology stack, including data infrastructure, ETL and Visualization layers and enable our employee base to move to a self service model of access to business insights.
- Lead development through agile methods and test driven development.
- 12+ years of experience in Business Intelligence and integration technologies.
- 5+ years of experience in an IT leadership position.
- Considerable knowledge of integration platforms, service oriented architecture/microservices enterprise programming frameworks.
- Experience developing analytics technology solutions that drive business outcomes.
- Advanced experience with at least one business intelligence tool at enterprise scale.
- Broad technical exposure to various BI disciplines and tools, including Requirements Analysis, Management, ETL concepts, Data Warehouse, Analytics and Dashboards.
- Understanding of modern data pipeline tools (e.g. NiFi, Airflow, Luigi) and modern data warehouses. (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Experience with AWS tools & technologies (S3, Redshift, EMR, Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, Dynamodb etc).
- Experience rolling out user driven self-service data access to an organization
- Expertise with data visualization tools (For example: Tableau, Domo, Looker) is required to support our unique requirements for visualization, security, data access, etc.
- Superb communication and presentation skills, as well as demonstrated management skills.
- Possess a customer experience attitude while maintaining a business-minded solutions approach.
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using any of Kafka, AWS Kinesis, Spark streaming etc would be a plus.
- Knowledge of Statistics and/or Machine Learning. Familiarity with columnar data would be a plus.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.