Director IT, Applications & Data
The Director IT, Applications & Data will organize, design, and execute the delivery of our business applications, integrations and data architecture that will enable the scalable growth of our global business. You will prioritize user satisfaction and business results, while demonstrating deep technical knowledge around business applications, development, integrations and data. You'll report directly to the VP of Information Technology.
You are a high-energy, self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. You enjoy and excel at team building and development, as well as collaborating with cross-functional teams. Technical expertise and a passion for innovation are crucial, but you'll balance that with sound decision-making and a solid background in data & analytics.
- Set first-in-class standards for systems management, systems integration and systems development across the organization.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance on software development tools and development methodologies.
- Develop and execute a holistic technology vision for Slack’s long-term analytics & data strategy while identifying quick wins that can provide immediate value.
- Build a high-performing team through mentorship, training, and feedback.
- Design roadmaps for systems that support our global businesses into the future.
- Collaborate with partners in Product Management, Business and Technical Operations, Systems Engineering and Infrastructure teams.
- Craft a vision for developing next generation software and technical enterprise solutions.
- Collaborate with business teams to identify, prioritize, and develop key features in our physical and logical data models (e.g. marketing, web, sales, and customer success analytics).
- Work with our existing technology stack (LAMP, Python, Ruby, Node.js, Presto, Hive, SQL, AWS, Open Source Platforms, and SOA) and recommend new technologies for our next generation solutions.
- Lead development through agile methods and test driven development.
- 15+ years of experience in software development and integration technologies.
- 10+ years of experience in an IT leadership position.
- Considerable knowledge of integration platforms, service oriented architecture/microservices enterprise programming frameworks.
- Experience developing analytics technology solutions that drive business outcomes.
- Advanced experience with at least one business intelligence tool at enterprise scale.
- Understanding of modern data pipeline tools (e.g. NiFi, Airflow, Luigi) and modern data warehouses. (e.g. BigQuery, Redshift, Snowflake)
- Experience rolling out user driven self-service data access to an organization
- Solid knowledge of distributed web/application technologies.
- Working experience with relational databases/data warehouses. (e.g. SQL Server, MySQL, Hive, Presto)
- Delivery of customer products, dabbles in new technologies, and isn’t afraid of a challenge.
- Experience with common tools including Git, Jenkins, Slack, JIRA.
- Superb communication and presentation skills, as well as demonstrated management skills.
- Possess a customer experience attitude while maintaining a business-minded solutions approach.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.