We are looking for an exceptionally talented, pleasant and practical employment attorney to join our legal team in San Francisco. You will work closely with our People and Recruiting teams, as well as with other members of the Legal team, advising at all levels of the organization both domestically and internationally. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. And we’re nice. :)
If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Provide advice and counseling on a range of employment law issues, including recruiting, hiring, employee relations, diversity and inclusion, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, privacy, contingent workforce issues, and immigration.
- Partner with the People, Recruiting and Sales Operations teams to evaluate and implement employment, recruiting and compensation practices, policies, and processes that balance legal compliance with the culture we want, and our employees deserve.
- Draft and review employment-related agreements and templates.
- Advise on investigations and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment-related inquiries.
- Conduct audits, classification reviews, and support other compliance efforts.
- Assist in managing labor and employment matters, disputes and litigation, as needed.
- Assist in developing and conducting training and education programs for interns, employees, managers, and the People team.
- Collaborate with local counsel to advise the People team and management on international employment and immigration issues.
What you should have
- 5+ years experience working at a major law firm, with prior in-house experience preferred. International employment experience is a plus.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, messages and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers.
- It is a cliché, but attention to detail really is a requirement.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Entrepreneurial desire to assist in building out a Legal function that is supportive, collaborative, transparent and cross-functional with other Legal team members.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach alignment and buy-in.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.