Associate Software Engineer in Infrastructure
About the Team
The Demand Engineering team enables fast and reliable delivery of Slack to our 12M+ globally distributed daily active users.
We design, implement and run Ingress load balancing and traffic management, including our own fleet of software load balancers and management of cloud load balancing infrastructure, plus DNS and CDN. Our Internal load balancing is managed via service discovery and service mesh.
Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business. Demand Engineering’s roadmap is aimed at improving ease-of-use of our infrastructure by providing our developers' features such as blue-green deployments out of the box.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering ensuring resilient systems built to scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic.
Reliability is Slack’s most critical feature! Accordingly, Demand Engineering is responsible for systems vital to Slack’s availability. We work to make our systems scalable, efficient, and operating according to our high standards in production. We also partner with other engineering teams to find solutions to improve end-to-end customer experience in Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a full-time associate (entry-level) engineering position based in Dublin, Ireland. You will be part of a team of hybrid systems, software, and network engineers split between Dublin and San Francisco.
What you will be doing
- Designing, building, maintaining and operating production systems that balance traffic across our edge regions and backend services
- Designing, building, maintaining and operating our production service discovery and service mesh systems
- Automating operational workflows, building automation and eliminating toil and risk
- Participating in an on-call rotation responding to production issues, as well as taking part in post-incident reviews and helping to prioritise and fix post-incident action items
Our key technologies include Consul, Envoy Proxy, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform.
We run our own custom forks of many of the key open source projects that we use, and contribute changes upstream.
Experience and Qualifications
- You are intensely curious about how things work
- Understanding of TCP/IP and DNS
- Experience with programming in high-level languages such as Go and Python
- Experience with Linux / Unix, experience operating on high volume Linux / Unix systems at scale is an advantage
- Experience with configuring and operating traffic management components such as load balancers, web, DNS and proxy servers in production is an advantage
- A degree in engineering or related technical field, or equivalent work experience
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.