Sr. Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering
About the Team
The Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team manages and scales core components of Slack’s infrastructure and product. We continuously seek to improve the visibility, speed, and safety of Slack’s distributed application architecture.
We are a growing and evolving team, welcoming new perspectives and strategies to address evolving challenges to reliability. We collaborate with many product and infrastructure engineering teams at Slack to continuously improve shared technology and processes, improving the baseline of reliability.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You will directly support multiple components of Slack’s infrastructure, including rate limiting services, monitoring and visibility automation, and other infrastructure tooling
- You will collaboratively help support and define the reliability processes that enable Slack to continue to serve our customers
- You will lead large engineering projects, from start to finish, where the scope is mostly understood
- You will help define SLA/SLOs for Slack, manage code deployments, fixes and software updates, and automate our operational processes
- This team has an operational responsibility in addition to being a software development team. You will participate in the team’s on-call rotation, assist with triaging, and addressing production issues, and respond to incidents at Slack.
- You will review code and get your code reviewed; mentor and be mentored by other engineers. Teamwork is what makes the dream work.
What you should have
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Experience managing critical production infrastructure, maintaining reliability and uptime, and having a customer first view of operational safety.
- A positive approach that embraces standard methodologies for software management and reliability, including unit testing, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- A passion for reliability, scaling patterns, up-time, and availability.
- A demonstrable history of thriving within a software development team, even if your roles have included traditional operations and/or infrastructure management duties.
- Professional experience of functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., Hack, Python, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks)
- Knowledge of Apache, HHVM, Memcache, Docker, Kubernetes or similar systems and tools
- Strong command of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training or work experience
- Experience developing and managing modern public cloud infrastructure, especially AWS
- Experience as a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), or as a platform or infrastructure engineer building and managing reliability mechanisms on distributed infrastructure
- Comfortable with deploying, operating and debugging software on Linux at scale
- Ability to dig deep across multiple layers of the stack, from networking and virtualization to configuration management and packaging
- Conversant with deployment automation/configuration management tools, such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible or Salt
- Familiarity with Incident Response programs and processes; including triaging and resolving production incidents at an organization with challenging SLAs and customer expectations
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
For Colorado-based roles: Minimum annual salary of $121,800 This base pay is for illustrative purposes only. This position is eligible for additional compensation and benefits including: incentive compensation; health benefits; flexible spending account; retirement benefits; life insurance; commuter benefits; paid time off (including PTO, emergency time off, paid sick leave, medical leave, volunteer time off, civic duty leave, bereavement leave, floating holidays and paid holidays); parental leave and benefits; mobile phone and internet allowance; perks stipend; and other employee perks and benefits.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.