Director, Cloud Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering leader for our global Cloud Engineering team. This team is responsible for building, operating, and managing Slack’s cloud infrastructure. A blend of infrastructure skill sets makes this a cross-functional team that delivers the technology that serves millions of daily active users. Our projects range from working with public cloud services to network troubleshooting to reliability instrumentation and monitoring. This Director will report to our Sr. Director of Infrastructure Engineering and partner closely with the engineering and business leaders across the company.
- Expand the scope and infrastructure model for key areas of ownership and operational responsibility.
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to solve our toughest design and support problems, including hiring engineering managers and engineers.
- Foster a culture that encourages individual decision-making and innovation.
- Support frequent and effective feedback within your organization.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have extensive experience leading large teams, coaching managers and enabling people to build impactful technology at web scale.
- You develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it.
- You are passionate about leadership at a high level and tackling infrastructure challenges at a large scale and accelerated pace.
- Your leadership style makes space for multiple senior engineers and managers and supports the growth of everyone in your organization to keep pace with rapid change.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced environment, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the organization—will be required.
- You have experience in helping large teams prioritize and execute in web scale environments that generate customer love.
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in cloud-based infrastructure design and operation to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice.
- You have several years experience serving in a senior leadership role.
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.