Sr. Software Engineer, IAM / RBAC
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As a member of the Slack Security Operations team, you are a driving force in supporting a robust and well thought out identity and access governance program that not only meets our rigorous workflow and compliance requirements, but also makes life easier for our engineering teams.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Propose and manage overall design for role based access across myriad internal and external (eg: Okta, AWS) systems and integrate with tools such as Sailpoint.
- Facilitate role-based access control design and implementation activities across Slack services and infrastructure in support of least privilege access.
- Provide IAM solutions and integration for Slack’s infrastructure and applications. Ensure the appropriate access controls are in place and applied effectively and continuously.
- Develop and engineer usable processes to enhance / ease reporting and audit practices for highest transparency.
- Perform IAM oversight process execution including escalation when KPIs are not healthy.
- Assist with definition and rationalization of change management rigor for IAM changes through policy.
- Lead Slack’s Identity and Access Governance efforts in support of FedRamp and general improvement of our commercial platform.
- Help identify opportunities for further integration into standard RBAC framework, solve complex integration challenges and work cross functionally with other Security, Engineering and IT teams to deliver a robust and highly automated IAM pipeline.
- Create and maintain supporting documentation across the IAM/RBAC pipeline.
What you should have
- 5-7+ years of experience working in a combination of software development, identity workflows and risk and compliance.
- You have a strong dedication to security process engineering, automation and operational excellence: unit/integration/data quality tests, scripts, workflows.
- You possess some expertise in high-level programming languages (e.g. Go, Java/Scala, Python, PHP).
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You are a strong communicator (both verbal and written). Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.