Senior Staff Cloud Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure
About the Team
Cloud Infrastructure is a collection of focused teams that enable Slack's engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business and we are looking for a senior staff level engineer to join our growing team.
We are made up of systems and software engineers based out of the west coast of the US & Canada (Pacific time) and Melbourne, Australia (AEST). We provide different compute options for our customers to deploy to: Kubernetes (EKS), VMs (Chef) and a Serverless (AWS Lambda) platform all tied together with services such as Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to build and operate their services. We manage our worldwide cloud (AWS) ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies within Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
Slack is looking for a Senior Staff Engineer to work within the Cloud Infrastructure team. This is a senior position bringing together the team and coordinating the technical direction for many of the great projects our wider team is working on.
This is a full-time position based on the U.S. This role collaborates heavily with our team in Melbourne, Australia so candidates should ideally be located on the West Coast.
What you will be doing
- Lead engineering efforts on Slacks underlying Cloud infrastructure and beyond. This involves building tools and services, contributing to our internal PaaS compute options (Kubernetes, Chef & VM, Serverless) and making access to AWS services simple and effective
- Leading software projects, from start to finish, where the scope is undefined or needs refinement
- Be heavily involved in setting the platform vision, defining feature roadmaps and writing design documents for potential projects
- Take responsibility for leading the roadmap, direction and engineering efforts of many of Slacks most critical and forward thinking projects
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services the team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s wider engineering community to build relationships, identify potential areas of improvement (or pain points) and help drive adoption of our team’s solutions
- Facilitate and drive engineering best practice conversations across the organization
- Mentor other engineers to help foster a cohesive team environment
What you should have
- In-Depth knowledge of how the Cloud works and love to share that knowledge with others. You consider yourself an expert in a number of AWS services
- The ability to analyze and optimize efficiency in high-traffic internet applications
- A mentoring mindset and love to model modern methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- A proven record influencing an entire engineering organization
- You believe all infrastructure should be deployed as code
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Proven track record of building tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Python)
- An interest in building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Extensive experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment
- A solid understanding of fundamental networking
- Familiarity with deployment automation/configuration management -- e.g, Chef, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
You probably tick some of these boxes:
- At least 10 years of professional experience in software engineering, working on transformational projects
- You possess strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Extensive experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Experience working with large scale AWS/Cloud environments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- AWS specialty certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Experience running deployment automation/configuration management systems at scale -- e.g, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
- Experience with Kubernetes / Serverless platforms
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.