The team behind Slack’s Desktop application is looking for a Staff Engineer to join us in building one of the most heavily used pieces of software in the world.
As a team member, you’ll be strategizing, designing and building solutions that lie at the heart of Slack’s most used client. You and the team are responsible for a critical layer of infrastructure between Electron – the open source framework that powers our app – and the frontend of Slack. Ultimately your work will empower the tens of millions of people that rely on Slack every day. You’ll focus on bringing the latest native capabilities to our platform, ensuring consistent integration with the OS, and laying a high-performing foundation for frontend engineers throughout the organization.
Slack has an empathy driven, diverse, and supportive culture and in turn we look for curious, inventive people who strive to build delightful and empowering software while growing a little every day.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, get in touch.
What You Will Be Doing
- Designing and implementing well-tested, scalable, and high performance code impacting millions of users every day
- Strategize & collaborate with product, design and engineering to guide the 9-month roadmap for Slack’s most used client
- Transforming complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond our team and solve cross-functional problems
- Evaluating and implementing new technologies to improve performance and stability across the desktop ecosystem
- Owning the Desktop application infrastructure, leading its long-term health and expanding on its underlying systems.
- Assisting our skilled support team and operations team to triage and resolve production issues.
- Living in harmony with a healthy work-life balance across the board, including your managers and directors
What You Should Have
- 4+ years of relevant experience building desktop applications, perhaps but not necessarily with a web-based framework like Electron
- Strong understanding of frameworks like React and Redux
- Comfort with the shell and a variety of operating systems
- Mentoring and the ability to model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Strong interpersonal skills, e.g. ability to convey complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is something you are used to
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative mindset
Bonus points If You Have
- You’ve worked on a large scale Electron based application
- You’ve worked on a native desktop app before and have a strong understanding of the internals of Windows, MacOS or Linux
- You’ve written Objective-C or C++ integrating with native APIs
- You've used Slack and are excited to make it better for millions of users
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.