Sr. Software Engineer, Core Infrastructure
Slack is looking for Senior Software Engineers in Infrastructure to build, design and operate distributed systems, and improve the performance and reliability of those systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We're passionate about building the foundational components that power the core functionality of Slack so that product feature teams can invest more time and effort on our users and product features. These frameworks and services enable Slack to achieve best in class reliability and scalability while making the delivery of new product features simple and efficient.
Infrastructure at Slack
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our team maintains and builds the lower levels of our stack, including:
- Edge services
- Data Stores and Caches
- Real-time messaging
- Asynchronous background job processing
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, empathetic, independent, and pragmatic.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 8 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We've launched initiatives like Flannel, Scaling Job Queue, Reducing Slack’s memory footprint, International Data Residency as well as scaling the Vitess data tier.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you'll be doing:
- You’ll design, build, ship and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Slack’s engineering teams.
- You’ll collaborate with peers across Engineering to triage bugs and troubleshoot complex production issues across the stack, especially with respect to performance, reliability, and scale.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll write, review, and provide feedback on technical design proposals.
- You’ll define SLA/SLOs for your services, manage code deployments, fixes and software updates, and automate our operational processes as needed.
- You'll participate in the team’s on-call rotation, assist with triaging, and addressing production issues.
- You’ll review code and get your code reviewed; mentor and be mentored by other engineers. Teamwork is what makes the dream work.
- You'll do the best work of your life, enjoy collaborating with your coworkers, and go home on time.
What you should have:
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, operating system, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 4+ years experience building large scale systems
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- A strong dedication to code quality, automation and operational excellence: unit/integration tests, scripts, workflows.
- Curiosity about how things work and when things break you are eager and able to help fix them.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.