Engineering Manager, Data Ingestion
Slack is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Data Ingestion team in Data Engineering. This team is part of the Data Infrastructure sub-pillar and owns the Ingestion of data into the Data Warehouse and Orchestrating the Workflows to make this data usable at Slack. As part of this team charter, the team currently owns the Batch ingestion of Slack’s product data, Log ingestion via stream processing and is looking at building future state architectures using real-time ingestion and processing paradigms.
We are looking for a leader who is Customer obsessed, Platform focused and passionate about crafting a strong data-driven culture and are excited about having a significant impact at Slack. You will drive alignment and conversations with various teams within Slack on Slack wide initiatives and collaborate with key technical leaders towards defining the North Star goals of the team. You are then able to rally the team together, plan and execute on the roadmap partnering with Engineers on the team, Multi-functional peers and Consumers of data at Slack.
Our Software Engineers push the limits of our data warehouse, you will lead this team and scale the Ingestion platform to deliver this data in time and with high quality empowering and increasing the adoption of data at Slack.
What you will be doing
- Leading, motivating and growing a highly diverse team
- Build a sustainable high performing team and a work environment that's both supportive and challenging
- Collaborate with Architects and Principals to build a highly performant, scalable, resilient and reliable systems
- Be Customer obsessed, partnering closely with various product, infrastructure and partner groups to understand current and future data needs around Ingestion and Workflow orchestration
- Be execution focused on defining and then realizing the roadmap
- Lead teams in the micro services world; building services to tackle complex and linearly scalable problems
- Partner with teams across Slack on various feature rollouts and initiatives
- Help define processes and the engagement model for the team on Engineering excellence with focus on automation and Business as usual activities
- Find potential opportunities for building new workflows to scale and provide self-service solutions
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 1-3 years in an engineering management role
- Familiarity working with Agile software development lifecycle
- Ability to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a multifaceted and quickly-growing company
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to proactively identify data issues and drive to resolution
- You’ve built or utilized large-scale data pipelines expertly and have experience with Big data technologies like Airflow, Kafka, MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark and BI and Visualization tools
- You possess proven computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.