Software Engineer - Developer Platform
About the Team
The Cloud Engineering team enables Slack's engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business and looking for engineers to join our growing team.
We are a team of systems and software engineers based out of Australia (AEST) and the west coast of the US (Pacific time). We provide a compute platform for our engineers to deploy containers in Slack's ecosystem of Kubernetes, Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to build and operate their services. We manage our worldwide AWS cloud ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies within Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This role is open to candidates based in any AEST timezone within Australia.
What you will be doing
- Working on impactful projects within a small, agile team to advance our overall platform.
- Developing on Slacks underlying Cloud infrastructure. This involves building tools and services, contributing to our internal PaaS solution (Kubernetes powered) and making access to AWS services simple and effective.
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services the team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s engineering community to identify potential areas of improvement or pain points as well as driving adoption of our team’s solutions
What you should have
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Familiarity with software engineering practices including unit testing, code reviews and design documentation
- Ability to build tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Python)
- An interest in building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment
- An understanding of fundamental networking
You probably tick some of these boxes:
- At least 3 years of professional experience in software engineering, working in a team environment
- Know your way around with one or more programming languages -- e.g., Python, Go, Ruby, or others
- Moderate experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Experience building and releasing software using Docker containers
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS
- Familiarity with deployment automation/configuration management -- e.g, Chef, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.