Sr. Manager, Core IT Engineering
As the Senior Manager of Core IT Engineering at Slack, you will lead a team of IT engineers responsible for creating and maintaining simple and intuitive technology experiences across some of our most critical systems, services, and internal products. As a team, we are responsible for collaboration applications, corporate identity, client Platforms, and the corporate network, among others. This is an exciting opportunity to head an innovative team at one of the fastest growing companies in enterprise software. You will be well positioned to be the best Slack “customer” and provide real-world feedback to help the company grow. The ideal candidate has a vision for the future of the user experience in the modern enterprise, and is focused on finding and evolving the technology stack that will make our users’ work lives better.
In this role, you will report to the Director of Core IT. You are a high-energy, self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. You enjoy and excel at team building and development, as well as collaborating with cross-functional teams. Technical expertise and a passion for innovation are crucial for this role, but you'll balance that with a solid background in building and developing teams and careers. You have an empathetic, but direct, approach to leadership that creates clarity for your team and stakeholders across the business.
Among the projects the team you will manage works on: Identity & Access Management, Okta integrations, AWS VPC standardization, 1Password rollout, Automation of on-boarding/off-boarding actions, rolling out monitoring and logging platforms, Client device management, devops, SD-WAN implementation, EMM & MDM rollout. It would be useful if you show leadership experience about such projects in your resume or/and in a cover letter.
- Pursue user-impacting issues with the grit and determination needed to see them through to resolution.
- Build a high performing IT Engineering team through mentorship, training, and direct feedback.
- Lead the team in the development of the technology strategy and roadmaps for each of our core offerings within Slack.
- Make both long-term and day-to-day process and technology decisions impacting every user at Slack.
- Use data to find trends and drive continuous improvement through collaboration with your peers in all areas of Core IT.
- Work with the IT support leader to develop a framework for technology training and feedback loop for both support technicians and our users.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis regarding progress on projects, performance and potential business risks.
- Establish and maintain relationships with our vendors and suppliers.
- 3+ years of experience in an IT leadership position.
- 5+ years of experience in IT Engineering & Operations roles.
- Ability to direct the team through large projects and technical decisions that impact every user at Slack.
- Ability to direct the team in the troubleshooting of client device, network, system, application, and identity issues.
- Ability to run large incidents through to resolution and plan for longer-term remediations that will prevent those issues from happening again.
- Demonstrable ability to excel in a people leadership role.
- Experience negotiating with vendors on enterprise-wide deals.
- Desire to think creatively about how to bring the work people do back into Slack, through vendor-supplied and homegrown integrations and workflows.
- BA/BS is required.
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.