Sr. Manager, Site Reliability and Quality Engineering
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. Our Platform Interoperability team ensures that Slack customers can easily integrate the essential productivity tools that teams use at work every day: calendar, calls, emails, files and tasks. It should be easy for teams to find, share, discuss and act on key information and actions from a variety of leading enterprise software vendors like Box, Cisco, Dropbox, Google, Microsoft and Zoom. The team is responsible for Slack-built native experiences that integrate seamlessly with productivity software from a variety of providers.
Slack is looking for a senior engineering leader for our Interop Site Reliability & Quality Engineering team. Reliability and quality of service are central to Slack’s mission and our promise to customers. The Site Reliability and Quality team engages with feature development teams to improve the reliability, operability and quality of Slack’s software.
Site Reliability Engineers develop the operational readiness of developers and coach them how to assume responsibility for running services and build resilient software. Quality Engineers work with application engineers to develop practices, tooling and test suites tailored continuously improved the internal and external quality of our systems and applications. This senior manager role will be responsible for leading engineers serving in both roles.
What you will be doing
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to expand our reliability and quality focused practices.
- Own the organizational objective of continuously improving our software developers operational awareness and responsibility.
- Establish the criteria by which reliability and quality engineers engage and produce value with software teams.
- Lead quality engineers tasked with owning automated and manual test programs.
You might be a good fit if
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your directs’ success.
- You have previous experience with Production Engineering / SRE
- You can drive decisive action and gain consensus across team and department boundaries.
- You are able to weigh several, often conflicting constraints, and make quick decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—is needed for success
What you should have
- You have a total of 10+ years of experience 5+ years of experience in an engineering management role, and a clear record of success prior to that as a senior/staff engineer.
- You are not expected to code but should possess technical experience in Reliability Engineering in order to recognize the important decisions your team faces and provide meaningful feedback
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have experience empowering people to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it.
- You have experience working with a globally distributed organization.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical fluency.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, we’d love to talk.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.