Sr. Software Engineer, Core Infra
Build the Asynchronous Services that power Slack.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all sizes — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done. We work at a tremendous scale, aiming for 5 9s of uptime for all services.
- 1M Slack messages sent per minute via the API
- 300M events per minute broadcast to Slack clients
- 90B database queries per day
- 6B background jobs enqueued per day
- 2T metrics collected per day
The Asynchronous Services Team
We are a small team building a critical job queueing service employing Amazon SQS. We power core Slack functionality such as unfurls, events for apps, imports, and many other key day-to-day parts of our customer’s experience. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability are the foundations of our work.
We are actively building the future of Asynchronous jobs at Slack so we can support a growing number of jobs, customers, and regions without increasing complexity.
If you were to join Slack, here are the types of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Design, build, ship and maintain the Asynchronous Services used by all of Slack’s engineering teams to deliver more than 2B asynchronous jobs a day
- Collaborate with peers in Engineering to triage bugs and troubleshoot complex production issues across the stack related to our services.
- Whiteboard a fix to a scaling or reliability problem, then make it happen.
- Write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal from other infrastructure teams.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field/ equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Have experience running deployment automation/configuration management systems -- e.g, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
- Have built large-scale systems professionally for 5+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Have built reliable, safe distributed systems and understand the engineering and product trade-offs, and how to make a case for either.
- Work on complex issues where the analysis requires an in-depth knowledge of the company and existing architecture.
- Love to model modern methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting. You've been developing and operating web applications professionally and can talk at length to things you and your teams have built
- Are curious, inquisitive, and determined to fix things when they break.
- Have Lawful permanent residency within the U.S
- Familiarity with FedRAMP tooling
- Experience with Amazon SQS
- A history of mentorship and team leadership
- Experience with AWS
- Experience building and releasing software using Docker containers
- Experience with Kubernetes
Asynchronous Services is a diverse and inclusive team that is quickly growing and building the future of Slack’s infrastructure. We are happy to help you learn what you need to know; we encourage and support each other’s growth and it’s not expected that you would have expertise across all of these areas from the beginning.
Come join us!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.