Add RSS feeds to Slack
Do you have a favourite blog or news site? You can use Slack to subscribe to both RSS and Atom feeds and get updates in the Slack channel of your choice.
Note: If you get an error when trying to add a feed, try validating the feed at http://validator.w3.org/feed/.
Step 1: Install the RSS app
To get started, you need to add the RSS app to your Slack workspace:
- Visit the RSS page in the Slack App Directory.
- Click Install.
- On the next page, click Add RSS integration.
Step 2: Add a feed
After you’ve added the RSS app, add your first feed:
- Next to Feed URL, paste the web address of the feed you’d like to subscribe to.
- Select a channel where feed updates will appear.
- Click Subscribe to this feed to finish.
You’ll see updates post in Slack the next time the site is updated. 🎉
Tip: Don’t worry if you’re not ready to add a feed – you can always add it later to any Slack channel you like.
Step 3: Add more feeds
If you'd like to subscribe to more RSS or Atom feeds, use the steps below.
- Copy the feed address from the website you want to add.
- In your Slack workspace, go to the channel where you want feed updates to appear.
- Type /feed subscribe [feed address] into the message field and send. In the example below, we're using the feed address for the Slack blog: https:slackhq.com/feed.
Tip: You could create a private channel, e.g. #my-rss, where you can add all of your favourite feeds to make Slack your RSS reader of choice.
Manage your RSS feeds
There are a number of useful things you can do with the /feed command:
- Type /feed list to see all the RSS feeds added to a channel, along with their unique ID number
- Type /feed remove [ID number] to unsubscribe from a feed
- Type /feed help for a reminder of how to use /feed commands
To manage any feed you’ve added to your Slack workspace, regardless of channel, head over to the RSS page in the App Directory and click Configure.
Who can use this feature?
- By default, all members except for guests
Free, Standard, Plus and Enterprise Grid subscriptions