Software Engineer, Frontend
Slack is hiring a Frontend Engineer in New York to join our Search Experience team. The Search Experience team focuses on helping users find, browse, organize, and discover information within their organizations in an effort to improve their work lives.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the developer platform.
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps.
What you will be doing
- You'll collaborate with backend and search ranking engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code that integrates with real-time data streams and API endpoints
- You'll brainstorm features with product managers and designers and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase
- You'll assist our skilled Customer Experience team in triaging bugs and solving issues in production in your primary area
- You'll learn about and use new web technologies
- You'll like the work you do, enjoy collaborating with your coworkers, and go home on time
What you should have
- Experience building responsive layouts with CSS and HTML
- Experience with modern browser technologies
- UX and design sensibilities
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Self-awareness, a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and empathy
- You have completed a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 1+ years experience with React and Redux, Lodash, and/or CSS preprocessors like LESS or SASS
- Experience working on consumer facing products
- The Git workflow, including pull requests, code reviews, and CI/CD systems
- Any of the technologies we write about on our blog at https://slack.engineering/
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.