Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Our Infrastructure team is the scalability of Slack! We build all of the back-end systems that ensure that Slack has high availability, is incredibly performant for any size team anywhere in the world. We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our systems enable our product engineers to move fast and build awesome features rapidly on top of them.
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, resilient, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be the primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are scrappy, independent, and pragmatic. Infrastructure is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well.
Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL.
A few relevant posts from Slack's engineering blog:
What you will be doing
The Core Infrastructure team working on our application level cache is looking for an engineering manager to join their group.
- Define, evolve and communicate the team’s vision, mission and strategy across Slack.
- Partner with engineering and service engineering stakeholders across Slack to drive the team’s vision and execution forward in a timely, efficient manner
- Collaborate with Product and technical leaders to build a compelling vision and roadmap for your team
- Cultivate a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality and scale
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 3+ years of Engineering Management experience managing and leading productive, highly functioning teams.
- Strong ability to communicate the team’s mission to other engineering teams
- Have mastered the art of requirement gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- Excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.