Lead Commercial Counsel - Government
Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team, and focus on supporting our federal, state, and local government sales organization and customers. This individual will work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, Business Development, and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations, establishing compliance programs, and giving advice at all levels of the organization.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
This role can be remote, or based in either our Denver or New York office.
What you will be doing
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support federal, state, and local government customer sales. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, data processing agreements, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- Partner with other attorneys and cross-functionality partners to advise, develop, and implement compliance resources, processes, and controls that address government contracting requirements.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account company policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP, privacy, employment, and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Provide input on a contracts management system and contract processes to optimize interactions with our Accounts team.
What you should have
- 10+ years experience working with government contracts and establishing compliance policies and programs within organizations.
- Experience supporting different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you’ll see most often (see above).
- Familiarity with the FAR, DFARS, federal court and agency decisions, in addition to an understanding of the the False Claims Act, General Services Administration regulations and contracting, federal contracting compliance and enforcement, and exposure to state-level government procurement.
- Comfortable negotiating data privacy agreements, including a working knowledge of GDPR and CCPA as it relates to commercial contracts.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security and commercial laws or willingness to learn. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.