Sr. SecOps Engineer
Our security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security and strive to ensure that we provide low friction, high-impact security across everything we do. We’re looking for a developer to help contribute to our Security Engineering team. Significant in-field experience is absolutely not a requirement but an interest in security, curiosity and a deep desire to learn is paramount.
This role is to work directly on the team which developed the novel alerting mechanism go-audit which turns out to be quite an interesting scaling problem. This team also is responsible for the production, development and ongoing extensions to the Nebula overlay network. We have solved some interesting problems by writing code and running the systems which our software runs upon.
A significant part of this job is meant to attract a multidisciplinary engineer; you probably feel skeptical of any job posting with the word “DevOps” in it, but that (or even SecDevOps) is what you do. While we don’t work directly on hardening systems, we would ask for your help in evaluating tooling pragmatically—particularly when the right time is to spend some money or when months of development would be advantageous.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Develop novel software that helps Slack be more secure
- Creatively scale and operate the infrastructure and tools that handle millions of events per second, as well as participate in an on-call rotation to support these tools
- Identify and develop new features and a roadmap to augment existing tools to protect Slack’s production infrastructure and to help make our business lives simpler, more pleasant, more productive (and more secure)
What you should have
- Curiosity and creativity. We’re looking for individuals to join the team who very much want to know why something happened in addition to just that it happened. We have a lot of ideas, but are hopeful that your perspective will push us all forward together to deeper understanding.
- Proficiency both in a practical systems programming language and the shell of your choice. We write Go and Shell, but are interested to see where you shine.
- This is a role afforded the latitude to define workstreams, and entrusted to approach engineering problems as an art form. You want to empower your coworkers with the easy maintainability of code you’ve collaborated on, and you take pride in the craftsmanship of your efforts.
- Motivation to solve problems, not to patch over quick fixes. This is at the root of our goal to be on-call for our own services. Being on-call shouldn’t be a burden to team members. If it ever is, fixing it is our highest priority.
- We seek a candidate eager to collaborate across the company as we further our approachable and inclusive team ethos. As a software development team first, we are actively aligned and working with the rest of engineering.
- Broad exposure to various security disciplines and deeper understanding of models and principles behind core security concepts such as MFA and securely managing secrets or tokens.
- Golang—we’ve written wide-reaching tools in Golang, but we aren’t wedded to it.
- Ansible—it’s not that bad, and helps us move quickly, but any configuration management tool is applicable.
- Elasticsearch / Kibana—you can readily access information and love metrics.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.