Manager, Software Engineering, Developer Productivity
Slack is looking for an engineering manager for the Developer Productivity team, a group of engineers who design and build tools and solutions that will give our engineers greater control over internal systems while improving their ability to deliver software in a sustainable manner, quickly. This team is tackling greenfield projects while working to improve the long term sustainability of Slack’s engineering model. Engineering managers at Slack work in a highly collaborative environment, and that is particularly true within Developer Productivity where we are focused on improving the working lives of our fellow engineers across the company. One size does not fit all so please bring your bag of tricks and ability to teach them to others.
Tactically, you will help lead and grow the team focused on shaping and refining data driven processes and tooling to support a healthy, productive and enjoyable way of iterating on and delivering code at Slack. We believe in tight feedback loops and strive for continuous integration and deployment to build software which allow our engineers to release code often and reliably.
As part of the team, you will partner with the Internal Tools team to help our engineers build, test and release high-quality code safely.
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Delivering systems that allow our web engineers to deploy Slack safely, quickly and reliably
- Owning key metrics around deploy frequency, throughput and failure rates
- Building a team that appreciates build systems which are reliable and easy to operate
- Partnering with engineering teams and stakeholders (from release managers to executives) to understand and deliver on their deployment needs
- Aligning the team on key outcomes and measures
- Model and provide frequent and effective feedback between team members
- Developing communication programs that promotes the team to the rest of the organization and support daily prioritization and decision-making for the team
- Implementing a humane on-call rotation to support these highly-available systems
What you should have
- You are passionate about management, mentoring, and crafting opportunities to support your reports’ success
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.