Sr. Software Engineer, Reliability (Agents of Webapp)
About the Team
The Agents of Webapp is a Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team managing Slack’s webserving infrastructure and dedicated to making Slack reliable. We continuously seek to improve the visibility, speed, and safety of Slack’s “webapp” runtime: components at the center of Slack’s distributed application architecture.
We are a growing and changing team, welcoming new perspectives and strategies to address evolving challenges to reliability. We collaborate with many engineering teams at Slack to continuously improve a shared runtime for the webapp: the infrastructure which enables continuous deployment of application code to meet the needs and expectations of millions of Slack users.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You will directly support multiple components of Slack’s webserving infrastructure, including Apache, HHVM, Squid, Memcache, Docker, Kubernetes and AWS services.
- You will collaboratively help support additional software components at Slack that work in conjunction with the webapp. Examples include: Consul, Envoy, HAProxy, Chef, Terraform, databases and caching services
- You will help develop new deployment mechanisms for our webapp infrastructure, such as: canary, A/B, blue/green, red-line and other deployment patterns
- You will lead large engineering projects, from start to finish, where the scope is mostly understood
- You will define SLA/SLOs for the Slack webapp, manage code deployments, fixes and software updates, and automate our operational processes
- This team has an operational responsibility in addition to being a software development team. You will participate in the team’s on-call rotation, assist with triaging, and addressing production issues, and respond to incidents at Slack that involve the webapp.
- You will review code and get your code reviewed; mentor and be mentored by other engineers. Teamwork is what makes the dream work.
What you should have
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Experience managing critical production infrastructure, maintaining reliability and uptime, and having a “customer first” view of operational safety.
- A positive approach that embraces standard methodologies for software management and reliability, including unit testing, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- A passion for reliability, scaling patterns, up-time, and availability.
- A demonstrable history of thriving within a software development team, even if your roles have included traditional operations and/or infrastructure management duties.
- Professional functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks)
- Strong command of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training or work experience
- Experience developing and managing modern public cloud infrastructure, especially AWS
Experience Bonus Points:
- as a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), or as a platform or infrastructure engineer building and managing reliability mechanisms on distributed infrastructure
- deploying, operating and debugging software on Linux at scale
- hands-on, managing full-stack infrastructure, i.e. networking, storage, virtualization and/or host hardware, configuration management and packaging
- using deployment automation/configuration management, such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible or Salt
- with Incident Response programs and processes; including triaging and resolving production incidents at an organization with challenging SLAs and customer expectations
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.