Manager, Product Communications
Slack is a messaging app for business which lets you organize conversations into channels so everyone moves faster and stays in sync. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Our mission is to make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
The Communications Manager, Product & Platform, is critical to the success of our growing team. You will help build and execute integrated communications campaigns in support of our business objectives. You will play a key role in helping reporters, influencers, and other priority audiences understand why Slack is transformative. You are an expert PR practitioner who instinctively understands what makes a good story, and the media smarts (and existing relationships) to know who to tell it to. We’re not looking for the next Alice Walker or Charles Dickens, but you do happen to have a portfolio of published contributed content that you have written and/or edited.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not get in touch?
What you will be doing
- Drive evangelism of Slack’s narrative, with a focus on Slack the Product & the Slack Platform
- Develop comms strategies and lead execution of key programs and campaigns
- Media relations: product news, thought leadership, proactive storytelling
- Partner closely with Product Marketing, Social, AR, Events, Product & Engineering, Legal and others on cross functional initiatives
- Support Slack’s content advocacy program, co-managing a small team of writers
- Support Slack’s influencer marketing program
- Manage PR and influencer agency teams
- Develop and edit communication materials (including briefing materials)
- Staff interview and speaking opportunities as necessary
- Partner and align closely with international counterparts
What you should have
- Strong media relations skills and a passion for PR (~7-8 years experience)
- Agency/In-house enterprise software/technology communications preferred
- Developer or security communications experience is a bonus but not required
- Hunger for an exciting opportunity; ready to roll up your sleeves and dig in!
- Passionate about Slack and about learning about how work is evolving
- Creative, thoughtful and passionate about storytelling
- Exceptional writing skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines consistently
- Skilled at managing up, prioritizing and setting expectations as needed
- Open and effective communicator; someone who is not afraid to throw out an idea or challenge an existing one to help advance Slack’s mission
- Curious; eager to learn and open to trying new things
- A self-starter, able to initiate and run with projects
- Collaborative and able to work cross-functionally
- Critical thinker; strong executive presence; ability to hold a “seat at the table” alongside other areas of the business
- Flexible: able to juggle multiple responsibilities at once and unphased by change whenever it happens (“cool as a cucumber”, as they say)
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.