Product Lead, Emerging Products
Slack is looking for a Product Lead to lead our new “Emerging Products” group. The focus is building new product capabilities that make Slack feel like the essential digital replacement for the physical office as the world rapidly moves to (hybrid) remote work. This is the biggest opportunity to invent the future of work since we first launched Slack.
We know every team wants to move faster, get aligned, and feel connected – from the Fortune 500 to the Fortune 500,000. These needs are becoming even more pronounced as Covid compresses a decade-long shift to distributed work into a year. As companies move remote, there is an urgent need to replace formerly synchronous, in-person processes and meetings with alternatives that offer more async flexibility and spontaneity – and ultimately boost efficiency, productivity, and connectedness.
Slack is poised to be that essential digital replacement for the “jobs” of the physical office. We are starting with two opportunities: 1) Asynchronous, AV “Stories” to boost team connection and alignment and 2) Ambient and ad hoc audio to encourage spontaneous collaboration. But, this is just the beginning. The jobs are clear for the unbundled physical office: ad hoc collaboration, alignment, serendipitous connections, and ambient awareness. These are the jobs Slack is poised to become essential for, since Slack already brings together everyone you work with into channels for every team, project, event, and customer.
That’s where you hopefully come in! This role is perfect for a product leader who wants to effectively join as an early “co-founder”. You will lead creating new products in this rapidly evolving space and shaping the new Emerging Products group. It’s many of the best parts of a startup, but layered on top of Slack the product and Slack the company. You should be excited to start off shaping the product direction, driving execution, figuring out our GTM approach, and sweating the little big details all yourself – and eventually growing a PM team as we take on more opportunities. Hundreds of millions of people are struggling to work in this new hybrid remote world – how can we build products that make their working lives simpler, more pleasant, and more productive?
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You will own the product vision and strategy for how Slack becomes the essential digital replacement for the physical office. You will constantly identify, evaluate, and pursue new opportunities for products no one had imagined before.
- You will focus on building an absolutely delightful user experience above all else. You’ll ship a well-crafted product and sweat the little big details.
- You will relentlessly drive the pace and quality of execution with one of the most senior Engineering and Design teams at Slack. You will make hard tradeoffs, de-risk issues, communicate clearly, and inspire the entire company.
- You will drive go-to-market – from positioning to packaging to pricing – because as important as building great products for this emerging market will be shaping the rapidly shifting market to these new products.
- You will optimize for our pace of learning in an open-ended new space. You will drive rapid prototyping of new ideas, and constantly collect feedback from early releases to customers.
- Over time, you will lead and guide the development of a team of amazing product managers and help them do their best work.
- You will take on founder-level ownership for the success of our Emerging Products – from driving usage to business impact.
- You will frequently act as an external ambassador for Slack with customers, partners, and the press.
- You will help shape Slack’s product strategy and development process while we grow, as part of the product leadership team.
What you should have
- You have built products 0-to-1, whether at a startup or in a new area at a larger company.
- You have led consumer-grade products that millions of people have loved using.
- You have experience building high-impact products in the communication, video, and/or audio spaces.
- You have a proven, 10+ year track record of Product Management leadership in rapidly scaling organizations, including growing and managing a high-performing team of senior PMs.
- You’re a talent magnet. People want to collaborate with you and work for you. You listen well. You build consensus by default, but can drive hard decisions when you have to.
- You thrive with ambiguity. You constantly try out new creative approaches to strategy and execution.
- You communicate and write succinctly.
- You are data-minded. You deeply understand how your products work and how to measure long-term impact through experimentation.
- You are technically strong enough to weigh tough tradeoffs and have in-depth discussions with engineers on the nuances of complex engineering systems.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.