Sr. Site Reliability Engineer
About the Team
The Site Reliability Engineering team is composed of systems and software engineers, working to make Slack more performant, available & reliable each day. We’re driving latency down and ensuring that Slack is available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on scaling problems for a global customer base, and write software to work on multiple cloud providers. We redesign fundamental network components and instrument applications across the company. We get excited about making Slack fast as heck.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Leading larger projects, from start to finish, where scope is mostly understood
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues
What you should have
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks)
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus)
- Experience using PHP without a framework
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.